[Tigers] ARE Libre wheels

Thomas Witt atwittsend at verizon.net
Tue May 18 14:47:07 MDT 2010

>>> I think they are ugly as hell.  My $.02. Duke<<<

I spent my teen years in the late 60's through the mid 70's looking at
mostly Cragers, reverse chrome and 'kidney bean" (also called "slotted")
wheels.  I found Libre's to be a refreshing change.  Many wheels of the late
70's through the 80's - and beyond looked like juvenile design applications
off a CNC machine (and dare I say the use of "rivets" as well).  While today
there are infinite varieties of wheels (some very pleasing) so many look so
similar that it is like picking out a "shade" of paint in the multi-hued
palette of the hardware store.

  Perhaps I'm partial because my '73 Datsun 510 has Libre's that I find
period correct and appealing.  We all have our preferences and are free to
like or dislike.  Though I will say as time goes by I find a hidden beauty
in things I took little interest in when younger (so watch out!).  For my
Tiger I'll likely stick with my Cosmics given their somewhat rarity and the
association with the Harrington.

Tom