[Tigers] Camshafts

Thomas Witt atwittsend at verizon.net
Sun Mar 7 22:26:46 MST 2010

 Mauro,
If you can't get a part number for the specs you can try other methods to
get a "general" idea.  My Tiger has a "mystery" cam.  I used a degree wheel
and a dial indicator to take readings.  Regardless of that, my research
indicated that cam grinders use different starting points for measurement.
While the "lift and duration at .050" is common today, older cams likely
have "advertised" ratings.  And, while one might assume these numbers start
at "0" lift (just prior to a measurable lift) I often found .006 and other
standards were used.

Even after you get lift and duration readings it tells you nothing about the
"ramp" of the cam unless you plot it at a significant number of degree
points. At best I'd say get a lift and duration at .050 readings (for modern
comparisons) and then eyeball the cam profile. The broader the ramp is at
the top the more likely the cam is aggressive for its rated lift and
duration.  Lastly the lift is tied to the rocker ratio which typically (but
not always) is 1.5 to 1.  So, a cam with a total valve lift of .450 will
only read .300 if measured at the lifter.
Tom