[Tigers] inside a hardtop...darkly

slaifman at socal.rr.com slaifman at socal.rr.com
Sun Feb 14 20:31:05 MST 2010

My personal experience is in refinishing a Mk I hardtop.  It needed to match the original #86 Green, and get up to grade.  I, too, bought the headliner from SS, and it fit beautifully.  The rubber quarter window seals less so.

I did find original fiberglass fibers in panel shape under the original head liner.  It could last forever, but the adhesive could not.  It was all removed and sound deadening rubberized 12" tiles, with a peel-off paper covering adhesive (available at major trade automotive paint suppliers, and custom auto parts stores, were cut to fit the available panel space and stuck to the inside.  Really did a good job on road noise, wind noise, and that BIG BOOMING SUV that always seems to be next to me.  Oh yes, it does a good job of thermal protection as well. Keeping heat in, and out, as it's task.

A word of advise.  My hard top was a Mk I A, or Mk II that uses a single piece of rubber seal along the entire bottom surface.  The top seals very well, and yet some movement is allowed, being accepted by deformation of the rubber - not scrapping the paint.  To wear belts and suspenders I purchase some clear vinyl sheet, as used in "meatballs", and available at signage supply houses.  I marked it to match the outline of the top, both sides and back, in one piece and put it on with clear water.  Any rubbing will be taken up by the vinyl, not the paint. There are additional rubber corner differences, but the originals f this design can be replaced (if unavailable) with cut down Mk I pieces (if they are available!.  SS may have access to these - get the later versions.  The rubber foam bottom is simple in design, and is also probably available.

No more scrubbing of the paint with those left-over Mack Truck mud flaps!

Steve