[Tigers] Holbay engine help

Tony Somebody achd73 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 3 11:12:18 MST 2010

As some members know I have both Tigers and Alpines I have been attempting to
build a better than stock 1725 for my S5 w/ OD My first setback was the
machine shop some how lost a beautiful head I had spent lots of time porting
then paid a pro to finish up- soon I decided I would like to have a Holbay
engine and had made friends with a chap in the UK who had bought a Holbay
head, intake and headers several years back and was willing to sell them to me
for what he paid- what a great person this gentleman is but upon searching his
workshop the parts where missing It seems his neighborhood has changed over
the years and what used to be left unlocked is now in need of alarms as crime
is up in the UK too- long story short he had been burglarized but wasnt aware
his Beam parts had also been removed. He is an older gent and says he has so
many bits he may never know what all was taken. Next I met a guy selling
Holbay items on epay and although I wasnt able to
 get the head, he has another Holbay engine. I have help in getting the
smaller parts to the USA but I dont think the block is one that can be
brought. I need to know if the Holbay uses the same 1725 as the stock block. I
know it uses a different head and of course the cam isnt the same or even the
intake and it uses flat head pistons to raise compression. There is prolly an
American flat head piston that would work BUT thats a guess and wishful
thinking ANY information on the similarities or the differences between the
Holbay and the stock 1725 know to our members would be appreciated.Feel free
to contact me off list
Thanks in advance
TtT
PS- I sent this to the Tiger list as well because I know we have members that
have a broad knowledge of Sunbeams other than the Tiger.