[Tigers] 0.81 'overdrive' gearing

TIGEROOTES at aol.com TIGEROOTES at aol.com
Sat Jul 19 12:36:58 MDT 2008

7/19/2008 11:05:10 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tigers-request at autox.team.net
writes:

> there was a Ford Top Loader made
> briefly in '77 and '78 where they swapped the 3rd and 4th gears and
> re-ratio'ed so that 3rd was 1:1 and 4th was 0.81:

Randy,
       I have a friend who has a Mk-2 and he uses that transmission.  When he
first installed it he had its original 2.88 differential gears and the car
was WAY overgeared, so he changed to a 3.07 gearset and he says it works well.
Personally, I would not want a car that has a 1st gear, a 2nd, a 4th and a 5th
gear (essentially).  Also, from what I was told there were two different 4th
gear (overdrive) ratios available using that setup.
Jim Leach    Pacific Tiger Club     Seattle