[Tigers] norton

Rense, Mark (GE Indust, ConsInd) mark.rense at ge.com
Tue Apr 22 10:02:41 MDT 2008

Fun Facts:
Norton Motorcycles went out of business in 1976. I have owned many of
them, mostly Commandos. Ralph Kramden never rode one.
The "new" Norton Motors did not make it into the production stage, Kenny
Dreer never got enough money to start production.
You can get an Enfield made in India with a diesel engine, you measure 0
to 60 times with a calendar.
The US Army has diesel-powered dirt bikes based on Kawasaki KLR650s,
they now require all vehicles to run on one fuel.

If you want to see a production motorcycle which uses an American V-8,
just Google "Boss Hoss".

As a long time motorcyclist, former pro racer, and avid "crotch-rocket"
owner, I can tell you that the majority of motorcycles sold today are
geared towards performance, not economy. A Prius or Echo gets better
mileage than most bikes bigger than 500cc.

Bikes that do get over 50 mpg are small displacement (400 cc or
smaller), some exceptions are the smaller "cruiser class" vee-twins from
the Big Four. But who wants to tackle I-70 semi traffic on a minibike,
or worse, a scooter?

My 1200cc BMW gets low-40's mpg whether touring or sport riding, my
1000cc Ducati about 14 mpg on the track, the ZRX1200 about mid-30's on
the street. My vintage Norton 850 can get 45 mpg, but that's negated by
the oil constantly oozing out of the engine, primary, and transmission
cases.

As for giving my Tiger up and putting it into a museum, bite me.

Bugz
:>0