[Tigers] Toploader overdrive

Gary Crandall maliburevue at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 25 23:24:55 MST 2007

Curtis,

  Point well made. That's exactly why I kept my 2.88s, instead of going to 3.31s, when I put in my positraction. I knew 3.31s would be way too low for the wide ratio setup, especially with 13" tires. Now I have a 25% larger spread between the gears over the close ratio setup, i.e., 10% better hole shot and 15% better cruise. I've also picked up some 7" wheels, so I can get some more rubber on the road.

  Gary

65tiger at comcast.net wrote:
  When I converted from the close ratio top 4 speed, 3:31 rear end to a Tremec 5 speed. I found the Tremec 1st gear too low. Way too low. Back before Tremec, with my close ratio, high 1st gear, I blew away anything. Especially those with low first gears. Because of my better power to weight, I could not only hold them off in 1st (actually pulling away), when they shifted to 2nd, they disappeared (in my rear view mirror). Especially Mustangs. You can sacrifice a little clutch and it makes up for the ratio. As has been written in many articles, a very low 1st gear is not much of an advantage. The Tremec 0.63 5th gear was very nice for cruising, the 1st gear was useless for racing so I started from 2nd when it mattered. I ran gumball tires so frying them rarely occurred.

Curtis