[Tigers] Tiger Gas Mileage

William Lau mrlau at charter.net
Sat Dec 22 11:02:14 MST 2007

685, 000 miles is pretty amazing for a car to go on one engine and pretty
amazing to drive that far period.  That would be 187 miles per day 7 days a
week for 10 years and if he changed oil according to the manual it would be
almost 500 gallons of oil changes.  Ich bin Deutcher auch   so maybe your
brother in law and I are related.  - Bill Lau--

Only under extreme conditions, but not normal driving.  Brother-in-law has a
240D, which he drove for 685,000 miles and was very prompt in his
maintenance.

He was German, used his cars in his construction business, went to diesel
school, and did all the maintenance himself, including changing the injector
nozzles at 250,000 miles, with the special Mercedes tools.

He bought oil in 55 gallon drums, so cost was low, and even had his own fuel
tanks at his shop to fuel all trucks, cars, and loaders.

Our government get so wrapped up with mileage, that they prompt cars like
the Piras (spelling), but with a Mercedes E320 CDI, you get higher mileage,
a larger car with a larger load capacity, a car that can easily go 100's of
thousands of miles with low maintenance, a car that meets EPA emission std.,
except in 5 states, which will soon change, and at a cost per mile per life
span that is well above most if not all of the green cars on the market.

As noted before, BMW, Audi, Peugeot, and some Jap engines have excellent
diesels as well, and the benefits have been enjoyed outside the US for
years.

GM tried to take a gas V-8 and make a diesel, but it was such a flop, that
GM paid dearly for the terrible engineering in replacement motors.

Must have been the Bean Counters who designed the engine.

BTW, my wife's 1998 E300TD performs very nicely at Summit Point Raceway.

Larry

William Lau wrote:

I bought it new from Plaza Motors in St. Louis for $15,500 and the manual
said to change every 2500 with the filter and it was a 240 D. -- Bill --

Don't know why you had this experience with the Mercedes diesel, as they
are great cars.