[Spridgets] Grattan Sprite Midget Race Series Weekend August 12-14, 2022

stanbmason at aol.com stanbmason at aol.com
Thu Jul 21 11:58:27 MDT 2022

Spridgetites,
Here is what is planned for August 12-14 Grattan Race weekend.  I have never seen this many Spridgets registered already.  For those of you that have not registered do not miss the early discount!
Grattan 2022 SpriteMidget Race Series Finale August 12-14

Revised 7/21/22

As of July 21, 2022 we have 30 Spridgets registered withmore to come from Pittsburgh GP and later registrations. This will be our 2ndlargest gathering of Racing Spridgets with SMRS.  We have our friends from Texas returning toenjoy the weekend with us including the Prototype Sprite Coupe of Steve Coleman.  948 Bug Eyes are also in abundance inthe 2E class. We have our typical fun planned off and on the track with the GrattanSprite Midget Race Series Finale.  Thisyear’s awards will be navy blue baseball caps with SMRS logo on front and 1st,2nd & 3rd on back for the top 3 in each of our 8classes. You need to have raced in 2 of the 4 available races to qualify (Gman,Blackhawk, Pittsburgh & Grattan).  Wewill be selecting another worthy racer for the Gary Kropf Spirit Award and the JimDonato Sprite Midget Most Respected Driver Award.  To reinforce the need for all of us to bepredictable, observant, vintage sports car drivers.  I will be providing a ballot that defines thecriteria for both of these awards with the lucky honoree recognized Sunday.   I will bring along the cow bell that I willring 15 minutes before any SMRS announcements. We are a large group and it takes a lot of time walking around to informeveryone that we are getting together only to have those that said they weregoing to be there not show up, so please listen for the cow bell!

SMRS has done a great job of being Safe Vintage Racers atGingerman and Blackhawk and we need to continue that value at Grattan as well,even more so with the valuable hardware that we are running with!

The paddock is open at 9AM, which is the first time I canever remember being that early, which is a welcomed greatly allowing a littlemore leisurely set up.  It is going to bea tight squeeze and I am working with Kathy Newton to optimize our SMRSPaddock.  I will provide an update as weget closer..

Our Group 2 (Vintage Production Sports Cars 1950-1963) willbe Group C for this race, which should get us off the track earlier in eachsession.  We can expect a similarexperience to last year with lots of track time (10 race sessions if youinclude Enduro and Spridget Series Race), as they say bring extra fuel!  We will have our traditional Saturday andSunday Sprite Midget Luncheons with our favorite Sports Car food group “Brats” (Itis always appreciated if you can get pre cooked brats or boil prior to showingup so they can brown on the grill more quickly and reduce the amount of greasefires we have).  It is greatlyappreciated when others can assist with grilling responsibilities knowing someof us will be up to our elbows in grease (not pork, but petroleum) trying tomake the next session.  Side dishes arealways appreciated as well.  I willprovide condiments, hot grill, plates, napkins & plastic ware.  Please bring enough food for you and yourcrew plus 30% for friends, workers and others that we will invite to join us. TheCape Of Good Hope Portable British Pub will be brought out Friday Evening forour toasting.   The Spridget Race moved to the last race onSaturday this year.  We will have theaward ceremony on Sunday.  Points forGrattan sessions are Friday 1st Qualification (fastest time perclass), 1st Sprint Race Saturday (durability) and Saturday Smidget Race(position). worthy charity. If you have an extra seat in your car considerproviding rides on Sunday for Wounded Warriors Charity Ride.

I will try my best to get there before 10AM and stake outour typical area South down the hill from the Paved Paddock and just East ofToilet Bowl Turn where we usually gather. We can expect Group 2 to be crowded again making it more important thanever to keep a cool head and keep the Vintage Spirit so we can all enjoy agreat weekend of fun!!

If you are in possession of the Special Kropf Piston SpiritAward and or the Donato Most Respected Driver Award please bring those with youso it can be provided in our award ceremony to the new awardees.

We should have some 2022 posters, decals and T-Shirts fromlast year in larger sizes only.  Alongwith past year stickers as our award fund raiser.

This is a great track with great fun, see you there!

SMRS Tentative Agenda / Plans:

Thursday August 11

                9:00 AMPaddock Opens

                EveningGrattan Bar downtown

Friday August 12

                10:00 AMPractice 1

                11:40AM Practice 2

                2:50 PM Qualifying 1 (SMRSFastest Time Per Class Points)

                3:45 PMEnduro

                4:00 PMCape Of Good Hope Bar Opens

                6:00 PMDinner at Big Top Tent

Saturday August 13

                8:20Driver’s Meeting Start / Finish Line

                10:00 AMQualifying

11:40 AM Lunch SMRS Brats

1:20 PM Sprint Race (SMRS Durability Must Stay Out forwhole session for Maximum Points)

4:20 PM Heat Race

5:20 PM Sprite Midget Exclusive Race (SMRS Position PerClass Points)

                6:00PM Dinner Big Top

Sunday August 14

                9:30AM Emergency Warm-Up

                11:00AM SMRS Awards

                11:50AM SMRS Brat Lunch

12:50 PM FeatureRace

Don't miss this special event with the most Spridgets we have had at Grattan!Stan Mason