[Spridgets] 2022 Sprite Midget Race Series Plans

stanbmason at aol.com stanbmason at aol.com
Sat Jan 1 09:29:01 MST 2022

Hello Spridgeteers,

We have lots of fun and excitement coming up this 2022 seasonwith the 11th year of having fun on and off the track in Sprites andMidgets.  I wanted to get thisinformation out early since there are some changes.  The following are the plans for this season’sSprite Midget Race Series:

2022 Sprite Midget Race Series:

·        Gingerman April 28- May 1 Exclusive SpridgetRace

·        Black Hawk Farms June 17-19 Exclusive SpridgetRace

·        Schenley Park July 23-24? Exclusive SpridgetRace “Donna Mae Mims Memorial Race” (to be confirmed)

·        Grattan Grand Finale Awards August 12-14Exclusive Spridget Race

As you can see we added another race to the mix.  This is something that has been suggestedthrough the years of SMRS.  As most ofyou know, part of the motivation for SMRS was to increase race car attendanceat VSCDA events, when it looked bleak for VSCDA in 2008 as a member owned club withconcerns over a future of being viable. VSCDA is no longer in that situation and continues to increase racerattendance.  The plan is to add one racein other areas each year to expose SMRS to other areas of the US.  This allows us to try a new track and get toknow other Spridget Racers and share SMRS fun on and off the track.  We would invite them to join us at VSCDAevents with Grattan being the constant for end of season awards.  We will expand our traditional best 2 of 3races to now include best 2 of 4 this year as a trial run.  The best opportunity for non-VSCDA raceswould be before Grattan (Mid-August) and does not conflict with other VSCDAraces.  2022 will be our first year oftrying this variation and we will start with VRG’s Schenley Park Race inPittsburgh, PA tentatively July23-24. Our Pennsylvania friends have joined us over the past several years,along with Dave Kessinger sponsoring SMRS again this year is from the KeystoneState.  They are planning an exclusiveSprite Midget “Donna Mae Mimms Memorial Race”. We are hopeful that this will bring in other Spridget racers that maynot be familiar with SMRS (East Coast, South and Canada).  We will encourage them to come to Grattan forthe Finale since they will qualify for awards if they attend.  Donna Mae is a PA legend in many ways andprobably can be summed up in three words “Sassy Girl Racer”.  Donna Mae was the first woman in SCCA historyto win an overall National Championship, which she did in 1963 driving a pink HP(948cc) Bug Eye Sprite.

SMRS is alive and well in 2022 and we will continue the funon and off the track with our traditional Spridget Paddock, Exclusive Races, JointLunches, Awards, Good Comradery and Safe Wheel to Wheel Racing

The Driver’s Committee has generously compiled driver issuesfrom 2021.  As your Group 2Representative I am compiling and streamlining those results for our review.  This will allow us to improve safety by beingaware of mistakes made so they can be avoided in the future.  I will issue these results before the end ofJanuary.

I will be providing additional details as we get closer toGMan.

Keep working on those Spridgets Gingerman is near!

Happy New Year and Enjoy a Spritely Life!

Stan Mason