[Spridgets] Base coat clear coat

Mark Haynes 220caribou at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 13:43:30 MST 2022

Ryan- I painted my '66 Mustang coupe this summer Nightmist Blue with a
light red pearl and ghost Lemans stripes in Holographic Silver pearl. It
took me 12 hours to shoot the paint, partially because I had to wait for
the intercolor clear to set up before masking for the stripes.
The biggest thing is to be completely prepared, I placed 3 fans at the
bottom of one garage door, furnace filters in the window that is
perpendicular to where the doors are, and let the fans suck the fumes out.
Clear needs to be shot with a slightly larger orifice, keep the gun about a
spread hand span from your work, work from the middle to the edges and
always work from a wet edge with your gun PEPENDICULAR to the surface
-otherwise you get tiger stripes.
Be Patient. make sure any small parts (like your shift tower) are well
supported-I had a fender extension fall to the ground while shooting color
and had to wipe it all off -Be sure to have a large supply of appropriate
solvent on hand for cleaning guns and wiping things down. I used a
Polyurethane and solvated it with Acetone-keep good gloves handy too.
I sanded the primer, then dry wiped, then tack ragged, then solvent wiped
to eliminate any contamination from the tack rag.
Email me if you want more specific input
Mark Haynes
It only goes one way- Pay It Forward