[Spridgets] gearbox issue torque spec

Mike Rambour lists at dinospider.com
Wed Aug 3 17:48:42 MDT 2022

  Hi,

  My gearbox works fine, shifts fine, etc. but developed a knock. I
removed it and found the front cover plate by the input shaft broken,
removed the front cover and found the nut had worked loose, tore up the
front cover.

  I am hoping that is all that is wrong with the gearbox, I have gone
through the Haynes and can't find a torque spec for it, I did find
"Drive Nut 90-100" but is that this nut highlighted in the picture below
(I hope it comes through) ?

  Last question is, can I put the thing in gear, protect the output
shaft splines on the other end in a vice and torque this down (and I
have a new tab to bend over the nut, the old one looks pretty bad) or
will I damage something in the gearbox ? I really don't want to
dismantle the gearbox if that is all that is wrong it.  I am going to
assume that if the gearbox can't handle me torquing this nut down, it
could not handle the stresses of being driven on the road, especially
with hard downshifts, but never hurts to ask.

     mike

--
A gun is like a parachute, if you need one but don't have it,
you'll probably never need one again.