[Spridgets] Doh!

Michael MacLean springer.mike51 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 01:04:43 MDT 2021

     I just replaced the fuel tank on my Bugeye today.  The coating inside
the tank was breaking down and clogging the fuel filter.  The fuel pump was
also replaced with an ECCO pump.  The location of the pump was changed.  I
had a Facet pump screwed to the top of the arch above the axle.  It was a
ways to draw the fuel, but the Facet did OK while it worked.  The ECCO pump
was installed to the vertical panel in front of the axle.  Closer to the
level of the tank pickup outlet tube.  If any of you have installed a fuel
tank in a Bugeye, you know what a bitch it is to route the filler neck out
the hole in the rubber bung in the rear deck lid.  Not a one person job.  I
was lucky a friend dropped by while I was in the middle of the
installation.
     After all was installed and the fuel tubing was re-routed to
accomodate the new pump I put a couple of gallons of gas in the tank and
turned the key.  The fuel pump started clicking, but still no fuel to the
engine.  What the heck? At this point my back was starting to hurt.  I had
skinned my right knee and my neck was sore.  Somehow being 70 and getting
under a Bugeye pushing a fuel tank in place  is not the physical therapy I
was hoping for.  At this point I said screw it.  It was time for supper and
I decided to take a whack at it tomorrow.
    Well at about 10 PM, I had a thought.  Did I hook up the fuel lines
backward?  So, I went out to the garage and lay down on the floor to take a
look.  What I found had me going "Doh" like Homer Simpson.  First thing I
noticed was the black wire was ground to the body and the red wire to the
power connection.  My Bugeye is a positive ground car. Tomorrow I switch
the wires.  "Doh!"
Mikke MacLean