[Spridgets] 1960 Bugeye

Kent McLean kentmclean at comcast.net
Tue Jun 8 12:37:24 MDT 2021

I used a leaf blower to blow the detritus out of the car. My first task was to see if the engine is frozen or if it can turn over (by hand). I took the spark plugs out (breaking one with my non-rubber-cushioned socket) and poured some ATF into the cylinders and sprayed some PB Blaster into the spark plug holes. Fastforward 3 days; rocking the car in gear shows some movement of the crankshaft pulley, so I'm thinking the engine isn't frozen. Next step is to get a battery hooked up, spritz some gas into the carbs and see if it'll fire.

Spark plugs: I went on-line to see who had what. Most of them doubled in price with shipping. But I found one locally - at Home Depot, in their lawn mower parts! Champion-made Eco-Clean RN9YC. We'll see if it works.

Lastly, banging one's head on the bonnet gets old quick, so I took the bonnet off and set it aside. I'm blessed with a barn with a loft. Storing the bonnet meant getting if from the car bay and up into the loft. My Warn Pullzall winch to the rescue. It helped get the Bugeye onto the trailer. It did good getting it up into the loft. Expensive, but it beats a come-along or block-and-tackle. They make a battery powered one for more money.