[Spridgets] An American car in England

Weslake1330 weslake1330 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 15:19:44 MDT 2019

Hi List,

Well pondering marking the holes etc for my 1960s racing style door mirror
bracket I was partway through making, I was interrupted by the sound of the
air brakes of a truck outside my house, actually over the road from my
house.  On the back trailer was a large American car.

Turned out my Polish (that's a person from the country of Poland) neighbour
who recently bought a new-ish Porsche is now the owner of a 1970 (H reg)
white Lincoln Continental.  Delivery man kept thinking it was mine when I
went out to have a look and take photos.  Helped him get it unloaded but no
petrol and wouldn't start.  Neighbour went to get some petrol.  Delivery
man had a Snap-on powerpack but it wouldn't start - kept tripping it.  Went
to fetch my jump leads to find the delivery man, truck and trailer gone -
just the car and my puzzled neighbour.  Passer by pulls up and produces a
power pack - less results than the Snap-on power back but discovers battery
leads aren't tight (on the little 'Halfords' battery).  I fetched some
imperial spanners but the bolts are metric!.  Tightened them up and no luck
so passer-by suggests jump leads (he also thought it was my car).  I get
them from back in the house and passer-by has gone.  Neighbour has his Audi
and I let him connect the jump leads (his wife has appeared to run the
Audi).  Lincoln Continental Mk3 starts up after a while but with a
graunching sound (stuck starter or air con or water pump or?) disconnect my
leads and warm my cold hands on them.  Engine stops suddenly (5L of petrol
gone already?) and wouldn't start with neighbour re-connecting jump leads
with the Audi engine still running (Mmm) - bad starter??.    Pushed car
towards his house (downhill, across my road with no lights other than my
torch.

So, another classic car in the neighbourhood (small neighbourhood too!).
Neighbour seems keen but owns no tools that I know of!  Neighbour and
delivery man told me it was a 4.6 Litre engine (never head of one).  Says
460 on the air filter - yep 460 cu in - what a beast - 7.5 litres!

Boot lock is missing - I'll bet the neighbour wants to find one - anyone
have one kicking around amongst their Spridget stash of spares?  Or a
workshop manual (in Polish?)?

I'm amazed that someone who knows almost nothing about classic cars or any
cars and doesn't own a set of jump leads goes out and buys something like
this!  I'm probably more interested in it than he is (almost certainly more
than his wife is, or  mine!).  Here is a link to the website that sold the
car
https://www.salvagemarket.co.uk/vehicle-list/details/1970-lincoln-continental-460cc-petrol-automatic-coupe-at-chase-autos-ltd-chase-autos-ltd/808921?x=0&type=0&make=&trns=0&fuel=0&catc=0&dist=0&sort=0&srch=&page=21

Regards

Daniel