[Spridgets] Datsun Transmission Woes

Michael MacLean rrengineer.mike at att.net
Sun Jun 9 15:34:41 MDT 2019

     OK, I have learned my lesson.  New fangeled ideas are not always the way to go.  After replacing the oil yesterday  in the Datsun transmission in my Bugeye with Redline MT 90 the shifting was much worse than when the original oil was low.  This morning I got it back up on Jack stands and drained the Redline oil out.  I replaced it with Valvoline 80/90wt GL4 gear oil.  Just what Paul had originally recommended be used in the Datsun transmission.  Heck, it was even way cheaper than the Redline.  Six bucks a quart to be exact.  I bought two because the trans holds 2 1/2 pints.  I took it for a test drive and it shifted much like before the Redline oil with the exception of third gear. I can downshift somewhat again and it only grinds in third in both directions, up or down shifting.  I believe the synchro on third is toast.  Don't know why I am always trying to improve on something that already works anyway.  These cars were designed to utilize the cheap regular oils of the day.  Why screw with it?  My Harley is the same way.  Thirties technology uses the simplest oils and parts.  That motorcycle runs the best on cheap Autolite spark plugs.  I can find them on sale usually for $.69 to $.79!  Best not to reinvent the wheel.     I still need to rebuild this trans or get a new one.  I have a line on a low mileage Datsun transmission.  Time to put the Bugeye on the back burner and turn my attention to my BN2.  Trying to figure out how to connect the axle housing to the leaf springs.  I'm sure they had some special tool to compress the leaf spring upwards at the factory.  I have no such advantage here in my two car garage.  Not fun dealing with all that stored up energy.  At least it keeps me off the streets.     So, I can drive the Bugeye if I have to.  I just have to shy away from third gear.
Mike MacLean