[Spridgets] I bought a Bugeye, thoughts on getting it from WI to NJ

bmwwxman . bmwwxman at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 13:45:21 MDT 2019

Lin,

Just got done sending an MGB from Dodge City, KS to Bremen, GA.  We used a
U-Haul car transporter.
It just fit the trailer with very little room to spare so be sure to
measure.  They require you to know your
tongue weight on the tow vehicle as well as the maximum towing weight.  We
used a Ford 150 pickup
- maximum towing weight of 7,000 lbs.

Failing that, there are professional car transporters out there that pick
up and deliver cars all the time.
Google it....   WST may already know someone who does that....

Cheers!!
Jim

On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 2:28 PM Kent McLean via Spridgets <
spridgets at autox.team.net> wrote:

> daredelvis wrote:
> > I?ve transported Bugeye  on uhual auto transports. The inside of the
> tire rides up on the inner lip of the ramps, but they just fit (I?d double
> check with a tape measure when picking up). They have the proper tie downs,
> unlike a box trailer. You have to list a MGB or something like that on the
> form.
>
> They also have ramps to get it up onto the trailer, which the box trailer
> may have only a single ramp in the middle (or not even that).  Best to also
> have a come-along or block-and-tackle to help get it onto the auto
> transport.
>
> As for WM’s trailer, you might be able to re-sell it — buy it, trailer the
> Bugeye home, and the move the trailer onto someone else so you don’t have
> to store it. If you are lucky, you sell the trailer for what you bought it
> for and the trailer rental is free. If you are really lucky, you have the
> trailer sold before you leave WI.
>
> U-Haul is pretty particular about what vehicles can tow trailers. Their
> website will give you a yea or nay for your vehicle. Bigger is better
> (reserve power, more comfortable), if you have access to a bigger tow
> vehicle.
>
> -
> Kent McLean
> ’56 100 BN2
>
> ------------------------
>
> spridgets at autox.team.net
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets
> http://autox.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/bmwwxman@gmail.com

Cheers!!
Jim Johnson
UHI Aviation Meteorology <https://www.facebook.com/MET105/?ref=bookmarks>
Adjunct Professor
E-Journal of Severe Storms Meteorology <http://www.ejssm.org/> - Chair

"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they
look forward to the trip."
Winston Churchill