[Spridgets] turn the key, and - click!

Hal Faulkner frog.aye at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 17:15:45 MDT 2017

Years back, when I was living in a smallish college town I had a similar
problem with my 1962 Falcon.  Changed starters, cleaned contacts, connected
the jumper cables directly to the starter solenoid and a nearby ground.
Still would only click.  My mechanic told me to* replace the battery cables*
but I knew it couldn't be that 'cuz of the way I had jumped it.  Took the
new starter back and exchanged it. Still no joy.  Decided that it might be
reasonable to listen to the guy who made his living fixing cars and was
renowned for his honesty and quality of advice.  When my brother and I told
Ray how we had finally fixed the problem he looked at us and said, "Shoulda
listened to me the first time.  I bet both you guys have master's
degrees."  What can I say? He was right and we always followed his advice
after that.