[Spridgets] Power required for a given CDa to reach a specific speed.

WeslakeMonza1330 at aol.com WeslakeMonza1330 at aol.com
Sun Nov 19 10:33:30 MST 2017

Hi Ron & List,

I worked backwards using exact power values to get the speed values.   I
suppose it doesn't matter that the speeds are round up or down rather than the
 power.  The chart still doesn't look exactly the way I wanted to but will
do for now.  For example I can't get the legend reversed so it matches the
data.

The spread sheeting/data challenge is to get this data overlaid to rpm for
various gears.  The objective is to show that more power doesn't always
generate more speed.  This is because if the car is over-geared  the
additional power required to raise the speed is demanded at a  higher rate than the
power increase of the engine for the same rpm.  Put  another way the car is
said to be drag limited rather than power or rev  limited.

Looking at the data the difference in speed, for cars with identical power,
 is 9 mph (actually 8 but never mind!).  However, the car with the best  CD
achieve max speed at 6,218 rpm. While the car with the worst CD achieves
max speed (which is lower by 8/9 mph) at 5,810 rpm.  Except the car with  the
worst CD doesn't actually reach 114 mph because the engine is not making
100  bhp at 5810 (it's making at say 6000 - 6300rpm)

Here are the charts if it doesn't make sense now it will when I've had more
 time to work on the charts.  The examples are for a car with a 5 speed on
a  3.9 diff etc and for the higher drag car using 4th instead of 5th won't
help it  because that would need 6785 rpm at which engine still doesn't make
100 bhp -  being the other side of peak power.

Regards

Danel

In a message dated 19/11/2017 16:18:12 GMT Standard Time, soavero at yahoo.com