[Spridgets] Early boot handle - lock barrel replacement

WeslakeMonza1330 at aol.com WeslakeMonza1330 at aol.com
Mon May 15 14:42:09 MDT 2017

Hi list,

Remember the boot handle search a while ago?  Having found one I  fitted it
to the boot lid with the 'mule' spoiler that the body shop used as a
pattern for the aluminium skin and spoiler on the new heritage boot frame.   Now
that I have the lid back the plan is to have the boot handle re-chromed and
since I'm having it re-chromed drill it, not so much for a weight saving,
or to  match the handbrake lever, but simply because I like nicely drilled
stuff.   The handle came with a lock and no keys and so I drilled the lock
body out  (after tapping out 2 roll pin type securing pins).  However, the
steel  square section remains in the handle and so I have some questions I need
answering before sending it to the chromers:

    Am I right in thinking that I don't need to try and  remove the square
steel section
    for any reason whatsover?

    If I had a spare boot lock barrel (I ought to have  one) it is the way
the lock barrel
    works that allows or prevents the handle from  rotating/locking and
moving the
    handle?

    OR  those two steel bits I see are in fact  seized and should be free
to move in and
    out of the handle shaft and it's them that provide  the locking action?

Thanks

Daniel