[Spridgets] Axle leak

Michael MacLean rrengineer.mike at att.net
Wed Mar 8 21:10:04 MST 2017

Decided to see why I have to push so hard on my brakes to stop today.  Took off the drums on the front first.  Shoes were glazed and cracked.  OK, I need new shoes, but I found the threaded part of the tie rod end on the driver's side was rubbing on the inside of my Minilite replica wheel.  There was a distinct groove.  So, I have to grind a little off the top of the thread.  The I went to the back,  Same problem with the shoes, but again on the drivers side a groove was cut into my 175/70 R13 tire by the bracket for the trailing rod.  other than that a small leak from the axle flange.  On the right so though, I removed the drum and the shoes were soaked with oil.  Either the seal or the axle flange leaking there.  Other than a gasket, do any of you guys use any sealant like Hylomar AF or Hylomar Red on the gasket at the axle flange.  Do you think it will just get thrown out by the rotation?
Mike MacLean