[Spridgets] Stuck Gas Gauge

Michael MacLean rrengineer.mike at att.net
Wed Feb 15 13:44:43 MST 2017

Last night I tried to lightly bang on the tank with a rubber mallet.  No dice.  I have also driven over speed bumps slowly with the front wheels (otherwise I would scrape the exhaust) then driving the rear wheel over the hump quickly trying to dislodge the float lever.  All to no avail.  I would think if the arm was not stuck and the float has filled with fuel then it should read on empty.  The only reason I think the float lever is stuck is I refilled the tank with five gallons of fuel.  The gauge read 1/4 tank before I filled it.  That is where the level approximately actually was.  Since I got the gauge working a little less than two years ago, I had never been below a half tank low.  The quarter mark is the lowest the gauge has been for the first time.  It was a new gauge I installed at that time.  Apparently I will be dropping the tank.  Because it is full, I am just going to drive through most of the gas, then drop the tank.  Maybe it will come unstuck during that time, but I should drop it and inspect anyway.  Let you guys know what I find.Mike MacLean