[Spridgets] Pencil Horn Push

mdrowe mdrowe at optonline.net
Sun Oct 9 07:53:01 MDT 2016

The key is to look more closely at how the horn push works than I did
initially.  (I'm not sure of the proper words.)

The actual horn contact is inside, between the plastic button and the
plastic holder.  The function of the pencil spring is to make contact
between the button holder and power.  The pencil spring is not part of
the pushing mechanism, but takes up slack for inserting the button
holder into the steering wheel.  Anything that fits, with a spring to
take up ~1/4" of slack will work.

I managed to solder mine back together using a pointy vice-grip to hold
the wire and compress the spring. This would not have been necessary had
I reamed out the stop inside the plastic tube. Then you could solder the
mechanism outside the tube.  It would fall apart every time you take it
out, but that's OK.  At least is is unlikely to fly across the room and
roll under a cabinet like transmission parts.

Michael Rowe