[Spridgets] Gasket issue

brian daredelvis at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 21:36:43 MST 2016

This is my first mini, and I screwed it up because I don't know jack
about Minis. I converted an automatic 1275 block to replace the very
tired manual 998.  In doing so, I removed all provisions for crankcase
breathing other than the valve cover. The 1275 gearbox was vented and
the 998 block was vented.  The first time I got it to highway speed I
put out quite the smokescreen.  I fixed that by venting where the
manual blocking plate was, but I've got another issue. I'm hoping it's
the timing cover, and planning to replace that with a vented cover.
Blowby doesn't seem too bad, and the rocker cover is vented directly
into the air cleaners.

On the plus side, it's fast, and real fun to drive.  With the anemic
engine in it, I couldn't see what the big deal was.  It was a very
boring car to drive compared to my Bugeye.  That's no longer the case.
Now I need to fix the oil leaks, and find the 5-10 remaining rattles
in the cockpit.

Brian