[Spridgets] Excessive oil leak -1275 cc - front end

Bob Spruck raspruck at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 14:22:30 MDT 2015

I had a similar problem on my 67 Midget vintage race car at last
December's race. Oil on the hot header sent up smoke that got me black
flagged. After checking it out in my garage later, it seemed like it was
the front engine plate. Pulled the engine and discovered that it was in
fact a little less than completely flat and the the oil pan had a dent
from the inside that was causing a less than flat seal with the bottom
of the block. That's what I get from using parts from parts cars,
despite checking them out.

Replaced both with other parts from parts cars and thought all was well,
until the race this past weekend when the same thing happened, although
less oil and smoke.

Oil leaks are very often one of the hardest things to find and fix. They
also often require some trial and error - fix what you think was the
offending part, put the engine back in the car and find  the leak is
still there once it is up to pressure and temperature. If you can
determine where the oil is really coming from it makes the fix easier.
Arterial leaks are rare. It usually requires an engine removal,
tear-down and inspection. If you are lucky it is an obvious gasket or
flatness problem. But it still requires a fix, re installation, and
running up to normal pressure and temperature before you know for sure
it is fixed. At least that's my experience.

Now I have another wonderful opportunity to gain some more experience.

Lots of luck with your leak.

Bob