[Spridgets] More highway speed for a bugeye?

Ron Soave soavero at yahoo.com
Sun May 10 08:48:30 MDT 2015

Ryan,
Don't sweat the axles unless the splines look twisted or chipped. The later axles are BTA  806 casting, located on the end cap. There was a competition model...BTA 940(? I think). They are hen's teeth. You've seen my car, I went 12 years without breaking one, even with a welded diff.

As far as the diff, they are fairly robust. It should spin freely. Any ratchet feeling or like there's sand in them (or cedar chips in them Frank used to put in there to sell a car ;) ) and move on. The front pinion seals do leak, it's cheap seal to get, relatively easy to change if you have an impact wrench (the nut torque is like 200 foot pounds; just tighten the shit out of it and it's fine; my rule of thumb is 5 clicks after your harbor freight electric impact gun (fav tool, btw) runs out of steam!).  You can check backlash if you want, specs are in the book, pretty straightforward to do, but if teeth look pristine you're probably ok.

Price should be $75 to $125. I just paid $150 for a pristine welded one from Spridgetech.

Hope that helps -

Ron Soave