[Spridgets] Drum Brake to Disc Brake Conversion

Gerard pixelsmith at gerardsgarage.com
Wed May 6 17:20:59 MDT 2015

Hi Bob,

Most of that is incorrect.

You will need the swivel axles, hubs, discs, calipers, pads and different hoses. Used hoses are a bad idea anyway as they collapse internally over time and can actually completely block fluid from returning, which results in locked up brakes. The king pins are not the same either, and need to be changed. Usually the A-arm outer fulcrum pins are so badly worn, the pin can’y be removed short of using a sawzall, so you will either need the arms rebuilt with new threaded bushings or just replace the entire arm. Often old arms are cracked, so they should be inspected carefully before investing money in them. It’s best to replace the inner fulcrum pins at the same time. There are complete suspension rebuild kits that will have everything needed. For best results, using a 3/4” bore MC instead of the 7/8” one will give you reduced pedal effort as well as provide better clutch action. I can convert the original 7/8” to 3/“, providing a better an new master cylinder that will well outlast any of the reproductions now available, and is a bolt in swap. For this swap, shorter pushrods are also required, which I can also supply new cad plated ones.

Feel free to contact me with questions.

Gerard