[Spridgets] Drum Brake to Disc Brake Conversion

Kevin Valentine kevinv1275 at gmail.com
Mon May 4 19:31:42 MDT 2015

Bob,

This can be a dangerous swap if not done correctly!   Here are a few notes
from Peter and Frank on the subject :

>From Peter C:

The minimum parts required are:
1. Spindle or swivel axle, as it has the caliper attachment bolt holes that
the BE spindle doesn't have.
2. Kingpin, as it is a different diameter to fit the spindle
3. The caliper and all its attachments
4. Hub and brake rotor.

But, this gives you an opportunity to use the best a-frame and lower
trunion pin between the early and late. The A-frame might or will have
provision for a sway bar that you might want. You might want to use the
newer springs if your BE ones are fading. Given the difficulties associated
with removing the lower trunion pin, the most expeditious method is often
to just swap out the Aframe with kingpin and spindle attached. There is
less disassembly involved. You don't even need to remove the hubs or
anything. Do check for play in wheel bearings first, and also in the king
pin and trunion. Leave the steering arms attached to the spindle, and undo
the connection at the tierod end. You also need to move the steel brake line
a little.

>From Frank:

What Peter said and buy new rubber brake hoses, don't even think about
using the ones from the 70 unless you can see a date code on the hose and
it is 5 years old or less.
Never ever use rubber brake hoses 10 years old or older. They all have a
date of manufacture on them, if it has no date, it's
PRE 1976 and will fail when you need it most during that panic stop.
Also I have run across disc brake conversions on Bugeyes where the PO just
put the disc spindles on the drum brake king pin.
The top of the pin and the top hole in the spindle are the same and it
looks like it works but the lower end of a disc brake king pin is much
thicker, if you just drop the later spindle on a Bugeye king pin it will
work but when (not if) it fails, it will be catastrophic.
Similar to the failing of a 30 year old rubber brake hose ;)

Be careful.

Kevin V.
Tuscarora, Pa