[Spridgets] Not LBC, little truck, Pep Boys $1, 200. to install ball joints?????

dlancer7676 at comcast.net dlancer7676 at comcast.net
Mon May 4 09:30:01 MDT 2015

Linda:

I bought a ball joint kit from Harbor Freight, found complete instructions online, and did my Ford Ranger myself. It really wasn't all that difficult. I marked the parts with a chisel so I could get them realigned as I put them back together. Bought the parts from Advanced Auto. Between the online instructions and the shop manual, I managed ok.

After the job, I took the truck to a tire service center to have the front end aligned (required after a ball joint job). I was sitting in the waiting room when the mechanic came into the room and boomed out, "Who did that ball joint job on your truck?" I thought, "Oh hell, what did I do wrong?" to myself. I weakly said, "I did!", He made the A-OK sign with his hand and said "It's perfect!".

As far as getting the job done, Pep Boys is one of the last places I would have the job priced. My son took his car to them years ago to have the OBDI plugged in and checked--a service Auto Zone and Advanced Auto do for free. They charged him in the neighborhood of $90 to do it.

--David C.