[Spridgets] 995 Huffaker race engine question

Gerard pixelsmith at gerardsgarage.com
Tue Mar 31 15:09:44 MDT 2015

It’s not really, they are just telling you how to do it wrong. I assure you installing one of my seal kits is way easier that the JB Weld route. The JB Weld route requires drilling dozens of holes in the main cap and half moon piece… it’s cheaper, but it’s not pretty and certainly not easier. As I said, if it doesn’t work (and it doesn’t for everyone) you now have a worthless and unusable main cap and half moon.

The Minimania kit discards the scroll seal entirely.  You can’t really tell in the video, because it’s hidden behind the crank flange, but the aluminum half moon or “eyebrow” as some call it, leaves a 1/4" diameter gap above the crank scroll. The reason for the bevel he points out is so it will clear the oil slinger behind the scroll. Other than the external cosmetic similarity, my design is very different functionally. It’s also made better, and is US made. Besides restoring the origin clearance spec without any machining, there are other features that make the installation of mine more positive by better retention of sealant and 100% positive registration of the seal holder. Those are two other areas where the other falls short.

Gerard