[Spridgets] VIN number issue

Rick Fisk refisk at chartermi.net
Mon Mar 23 20:24:42 MDT 2015

Well Bob, sounds like something got mixed up somewhere.  First off there were a little less than 49,000 Bugeyes made and there were no '61's, unless you count the CKD Australian and Italian cars.  The last fully assembled Bugeye was built in November 1960.  However, the car in question could have been built earlier and sold and titled in 1961.

The last car with a 4 digit chassis number would have been built very early in 1959.  My Bugeye was built in May 1959 and has a chassis number of 15,XXX.

On a Bugeye the only other place where the true chassis number would appear is in crayon on the underside of the bonnet and under the hardura cover over the rear axle. Probably not still there today.   There is a body number tag on the right side door pillar that can be used by the British Motor Heritage people to give you the factory build record information for the car.  But it costs about $75.  There is also a number tag on the left hand door pillar, but it is not in the factory build records.

Rick
'59 & '61 Sprites

Sent from my keyboard