[Spridgets] 59 Bugeye Barn Find for Sale in SW Ohio

James Gruber thistle_3619 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 22 13:07:33 MDT 2015

  1959 Bugeye Sprite – BarnFind in Ohio

Last titled in 1978, this Bugeye, was a former Auto-XRacer. My assumption is that it broke and was stored indoors ever since. Ichased this car for 4 years as a restoration candidate, and 4 months after Ifound another BE this one became available and I bought it. 2 Years later mydreams of restoring a 2nd BE are grounded in reality. I will nothave time to restore this one for 3-4 years and funds are needed for my 1stBE.

Car is very dirty after 20 years of Barn Storage and thelast 17 stored in an airplane hangar. It needs a thorough cleaning. OriginallyIris Blue, repainted to OEW. Here is my appraisal of condition of this BE. 1098Installed in the BE, engine is frozen and I cannot attest to condition. I willbe including a 948 that came out of my current BE Project Car. This engine waslast run in 1983 and was in running order when removed from my Project Car.Engine turns over freely by hand and could be made running in short order. Ialso have a rebuilt Smooth Case Transmission that documentation that came withthe Project BE says it was rebuilt in 1983. What “rebuilt means I do not know.But cost in 1983 was $150 for the rebuild.

BE Tub is sound with no dents or issues with rear clip.DS has a fiberglass patch about 12” x 18” under the Driver Seat. Floor willneed to be replaced on DS or a patch welded in. PS looks pretty good and sound,may require some minor patching. DS will require small A-Post Repair panel.Outer sill DS looks pretty good, small hole that could be patched and notrequire a complete Outer Sill. DS Rear quarter has a small hole, could bepatched with a partial repair panel. Hole is about 1” back from Wheel well x2.5 “. Again a quick fix. PS will need a complete A-Post Repair Panel . Rustbubbles about 12-16” on the panel. I performed this repair on both sides on my’68 Sprite and was fairly simple even for a welding novice. Outer Sill on PShas one hole on lower corner behind Wheel Well. Could be a partial Outer SillRepair better full sill. Spring boxes appear to be in good shape from insidecockpit. I have not been underneath car to inspect from underneath.

Bonnet has surface Rust as P.O. started stripping 30+years ago and never finished. A Flapper Disk would take down to bare metal in afew hours. Bonnet will require new fender beading. I have already cut thechannel so a new fender bead can be glued with modern auto repair adhesives.Some work will be needed around the seam for lower valence and turn signals toclose pinholes.

Original Dash, unmolested and no cuts in dash for radio.All instruments included. Seats from my Project BE are included, Upholstered inRed. One seat will require a new seat pan base. Sliders and spacers for seatsare included. Luggage rack rusty needs re-chroming or fill in the holes. RearBumper over-riders are dented and should be replaced. Top Frame with top barsand a crappy top is included along with side curtains.

Overall this BE is a sound candidate for restorationproject. I would definitely keep it as another project but my wife doesn’t want“another old car taking up space in both garages.” This one needs to go.Restored BE’s with 948’s are going for $12-16k. BE’s with upgrades like 1275’s,Disc Brakes, and 5 speeds regularly go for $20-$25k. Classic Motor Sports isabout to start a BE Restoration Series. Prices on Project BE’s are about to goup. Asking $2k with 948 and Smooth Case Tranny. $1,700 for BE alone. ClearTitle in hand. Car is located in Southwest OH. Additional pictures orinformation contact Jim Gruber 937-654-6388 or jamesgruber at sbcglobal.net.