[Spridgets] New respect for cats

Bud Osbourne abcoz at hky.com
Mon May 19 06:56:44 MDT 2014

I've personally observed, on more than one occasion, cats standing up to and
chasing off much bigger and more aggressive dogs than that little thing.  In
both cases, the cats were female and were acting against a perceived threat
against their full-grown offspring.  When a cat turns and runs, it's easy
prey to most dogs.  However, when a cat stands it's ground or charges, most
dogs will take the prudent course and run away, rather than risk getting
their nose and/or eyes torn to shreds.
A lot of cats are very devoted to their human families, so the behavior
shown on that video is no surprise to me, at all.  They're also very
"territorial".  My 7# "garage cat", in her younger days, and before her
stroke, used to go after any dog that had the misfortune of straying into
our yard.  Our own dog, which was as feisty as they come and 45# worth, was
truly scared of that cat.  Of course, the cat never bothered our dog, unless
the dog made the mistake of getting too close, while playing with Mini's
mature offspring(s).
Cats are funny creatures, for sure.

Bud