[Spridgets] Not LBC, Belt sander tracking tips? Anyone?

Linda Grunthaner grunthaner at gmail.com
Fri May 16 07:54:39 MDT 2014

List,
As most of you know I teach Industrial Arts/Engineering Technology in a NJ
high school. I have the same Delta 6" Belt and 12" Disc sander since 1992.
I seem to spend way too much time tracking abrasive belts on replacement
and now that Delta is made elsewhere now I get very little support. Is
there a magic trick to tracking quickly? I track by hand for what feels
like thousands of rotations as I have eaten a belt using power and tracking
in the past. The manual states to track by hand then power on and off like
a pulse for final tracking but it always takes too long.

Are there any carpenters on the list? Frank would have solved this in
seconds. For new members Frank Clarici was a carpenter and the best
Spridget restoration, teacher and mentor we have ever had.

The link below is my machine for a quick visual. I will be replacing all my
20 plus year old machines one each year as parts are unavailable any longer
on most machines. Although I have yet to find a good replacement for this
sander with some kind of automatic or high tech tracking attachment.

http://www.lighttoolsupply.com/catalog/Manufacturers/Delta/Delta-6--Belt---12--Disc-Combination-Finishing-Machine?productID=1239

Thanks Lin
62 California Sprite "Pinky"

My Sprite link: