[Spridgets] History - Spridget electrical "fire" & want a Pasty?

Tim Collins thcollin at mtu.edu
Mon Jun 23 05:56:42 MDT 2014

Here's a little bit of history and history in the making for today.
First, the Spridget content.

In the '70's my wife and I went to a performance at the Calumet
Theatre in Calumet, Michigan in the Upper Peninsula - about as far
North as you can go without getting wet in Lake Superior. We parked
right in front of the door to the theatre - scored a good spot.  When
the performance was over and we were leaving, I turned the key and
the Sprite filled with smoke - immediately! I quickly reached under
the dash and wiggled any wires I could reach and it stopped - burned
my fingers on the hot wires. Amazingly, the car started and we drove
home. Latter I found that just the insulation had burned away and
only one wire was affected. We turned out to be the second
performance for the folks who were leaving the theatre behind us!

Here's a recent picture of the theatre:
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/byways/Uploads/asset_files/000/015/402/CCT_nom_calumet_theatre2100.jpg
or
http://tinyurl.com/lz7z6yb
We parked right in front of the covered entry on the right.

Fast forward to 2014. The folks in the Copper Country (nickname for
that region) are planning a community event to sing the National
Anthem in the theatre soon to mark the 200th anniversary of of
Francis Scott Key's song being written at the peak of the War of
1812. (I'm not sure how the math works out - seems to me 202 years).
Here's a link to pictures to the inside of the theatre - it's a grand
old building from another era and worth seeing.

If you would like to go and sing, you will be rewarded with a free
pasty as you leave the theatre. That's; PASTY - a meat and vegetable
mix wrapped in a "pie crust."

Here's the interior pics:
http://www.pasty.com/discus/messages/9211/9589.html
or