[Spridgets] Metal contact sound through trans tunnel

GUY DAY grday at btinternet.com
Thu Jun 19 02:46:12 MDT 2014

________________________________
Mark,
When it is making a this noise it
should be as you say, a metal to metal contact.  This should leave marks where
the parts have been in contact with each other.  Look closely for those marks,
possibly as small shiny spots, if you can't find them (and I would presume you
have looked fairly closely already) you will have to widen the search, say to
the exhaust pipe or to the tail end of the prop shaft.  Without hearing the
noise it is hard to guess what it could be.  Trust your ears, if it sounds to
be coming from the rear of the seats it probably is.  Can you lift the carpet
to make it sound louder or can you feel a thump as it happens?  Do you have
access to a lithe young person who can wriggle round the motor as you are
driving to listen for it?  (no new comment is required - they have already
been considered LOL!!)

You could try introducing some lumps of plasticine
(modelling clay) onto the gearbox to see if that gets squashed against the
bodywork.  I have known pieces of paper stuck onto bodywork to see what makes
contact but would not recommend that technique.  The edges need to be stuck
down otherwise it blows off!

If you get really desperate and have a video
camera you are prepared to destroy, (I bought a $30 Vivitar DVR 508 just for
this sort of thing) tape/wire/stick that on the pumpkin so it looks forwards
and see how much movement you get at the tailshaft end of the gearbox.
 Frightening.

Guy R Day