[Spridgets] Bugeye/Frogeye Club..... Racer guys Engine help

Lester oldsaabguy at comcast.net
Sat Jul 5 21:44:21 MDT 2014

Ok, latest bit of info..

Installed working non-electronic distributor.  Only change is that the bang
from the backfire is a little weaker.

Removed the airfilter and housing, the front carb is spitting out fuel/air mix
every rotation, only getting backfire every third or fourth time.  Looks like
one of my wildly ported two strokes.

Verified fuel pump is moving fuel.

Lifting up on dashpot causes backfire to be a little less.

Next course of action is to blow through the jet from the needle side to the
bowl to verify that all is clear....

..unless there are other options.

BTW  I pulled needles from another carb set and found some loose jets in a bag
by the distributor...  no two of them are the same.  I may still install what
appears to be a richer one if nothing else works.

Lester

.. and what are the symptoms of a cam that has been installed incorrectly?

No, I haven't done the vacuum testing yet as the car won't idle worth a damn.

On Jul 4, 2014, at 2:20 PM, Jim Seippel wrote:

> The backfiring is likely to be blowing the fuel back into the dashpot
through the balance ports at the bottom of the pistons next to the needles.
> Jim

Colin Dodds
> Cc: bugeye at yahoogroups.com
> Subject: Re: Bugeye/Frogeye Club..... Racer guys Engine help
>
> Didn't think of that but it's easy enough to do..
>
> Just went out to start messing with carbs to find that bell of front carb
has fuel inside it.  Pulled the tops of the bowls and they are both at a
similar and good level (that means I did NOT measure them but they are about
midway up the bowl)

> So how does fuel get into the carb bell?  A lot of fuel in the throat not
being sucked into the cylinder?

> Needles appear to be stamped wit "1"   Just cleaned and verified drop.
Fired it up and still backfiring through front carb.

> Lester
>

> On Jul 4, 2014, at 11:08 AM, Jim Seippel wrote:
>

> 2 quick ideas  Check to make sure there is no carbon tracking inside the
distributer and no moisture. Also, make sure the carbon brush is still in the
center of the dist cap.

-----------------
> Just more info..
>
> I set the distributor per the instructions and rotor is pointing at #1 plug
wire

> I actually drove the car and it was ok until it wasn't.. then the backfiring
started

> I checked the timing at idle around TDC and at 3000 looking for my 30
degrees.

> I did find a loose wire but I am mostly certain that it occurred due to me
trying to advance the timing when it first started backfiring.

> I'm going to check today and report back.  if I get no joy I'll search my
parts for a working/fixable distributor.  Something else occurred to me that
may be so simple that it's embarrassing.  And I am certain that this problem
is simple.