[Spridgets] Passwords, passwords, pa...OK, no LBC

Tim Collins thcollin at mtu.edu
Fri Apr 4 05:47:09 MDT 2014

My wife is completely computer illiterate.

With bill paying, health info, banking, insurance, retirement, etc on
line now, I have prepared a "If I drop dead" database so someone can
help her find the bills, bank statements, etc. should I get hit by a
Mack truck.

It consists of more than passwords and userids - things like
challenge questions, security picture, "real person phone numbers"
(Ya, I'll bet you get a real person when you call!), addresses,
URL's, and general notes like is a bill paid at this site, does a
statement come electronically, etc. I keep a paper printout in the
"vault" and keep the database up to date on a regular basis with new
printouts as needed. One thing I did is to consolidate bill paying
(for the most part) through our bank so there are very few different
web sites where bills are paid.

I provide all that info incase it is needed to get to our records
from another computer that is not "Registered" on a particular web
site or if she wants to convert back to paper bills. You might
remember that that computer registration process is where the confirm
the computer (Ya, it's a religious experience) you are using and
leave a "cookie" on your computer so they will recognize you the next
time - you need those challenge questions and security pictures for that.

To make things worse I am paying the in-laws bills too since the
father-in-law took a dive off the ladder a year ago and broke his
femur at 94 years old. They've never had a checking account or credit
card - completely cash so always had to go to the credit union in
person to get money to pay bills. It's what some folks from that
generation do, I guess.

I just hope my banks, and other financial institutions are being as
diligent about backing up my info as I am!