[Spridgets] generator/regulator

Dean Hedin dlh2001 at comcast.net
Sat May 4 19:52:09 MDT 2013

Most newer ones are internally regulated.
Lucas alternators? Heck you might as well run a generator then!

We need to come up with the "easy to do" alternator upgrade.

Tim Collins has a nice set of instructions, but like me he had to cut the
alternator
ear to the engine. He also did a lot of welding for the bracket.
Tim is using a "Worldwide Alternator part # 14717. (Mitsubishi) 60 amp as
used on 1987
Mazda 323, Mazda B2000, '84-'89 Nisson 300ZX and a host of other cars".

We need a "no mod" alternator solution.  It needs to use a cheap and
plentiful
Modern alternator.

Most of them no longer have V pulleys but maybe we can find a suitable
pulley from
McMaster Carr or some place like that.

This guy did it with the 78-80 Fiesta Alternator:
http://www.nonlintec.com/sprite/alternator/

I Googled it and that alternator seems to be cheap and plentiful. ($35 from
PartsGeek.com)
The only downside is this is an older alternator and it has the external
sheet metal fan.
I prefer a more modern alternator though, I think they actually have made
some improvements
in alternator design in the last 25 years.

But I think that the Bosch unit (combined with Frank Clarici's instructions)
might be the easiest
approach.

I'm using a (I believe 1993) Honda Prelude alternator "NSA 90 amp".  But I
had to
locate a pulley and the connections are a little more complex.
I like my setup but its not a bolt in swap.  I think I'm using the existing
generator
bracket.