[Spridgets] generator/regulator

dwoerpel at wi.net dwoerpel at wi.net
Thu May 2 21:32:49 MDT 2013

Question.  Do all alternators have internal regulators?

Back in the day, my brand new '68 MGB had a Lucas alternator with
an internal regulator.  The regulator would go bad and I had to
replace the alternator after 8-9 months.  I did this 3 times.
No one could find the problem.  I had a fog and a driving light and
with those on anything else I switched on, i.e., wipers, the no charge
light would come on.  I know the early alternators did not have much
more output than the dynamos but it became $$$ and I traded the car in on
a '73 Capri V6.

I kept thinking if my car had an
"external" regulator I could have monitored that and saved an
alternator or 2.

Just curious.

DW

> Changing the dynamo for an alternator was one of the
modifications I glad
>  did to my Sprite but with 150
watts main beam and 100 watts dipped beam
> headlamps does skew
this for me.

> In a message dated 02/05/2013
01:30:42 GMT Daylight Time,
> dlh2001 at comcast.net writes:
>
> As of  yet nobody with an alternator conversion has
complained about