[Spridgets] generator/regulator

Michael Rowe mdrowe at optonline.net
Wed May 1 06:48:50 MDT 2013

>Tell you what. My final thoughts on this...after several beers.

Wait a minute.  I'm the one who is supposed to be soaking my troubles in
beer.  And I certainly did not want to start a fight with anyone on this
topic.  I just want my car to run so I can impress the teenaged girls.  Old
farts don't get a lot of opportunities like this, and time is running out.
Soon I will be able to get in the car, but will need help getting out - not
very impressive.

I am now convinced that I have a wiring problem somewhere.  That is, of
course, after I threw away one multimeter and replaced the generator pulley
that split in half and fell out in the street.

Example:  I have been tracing wires.  The big brown wire that is supposed to
go from the regulator to the battery via the starter solenoid, about 12",
instead goes through the bulkhead to the right interior under the dash,
crosses left, then exits the interior through another hole by the battery.
It is a long run and impossible to check as it is all wound in black tape.
The best I can do is a continuity check end to end.  I have yet to find the
far end of the ground from the regulator, but it has continuity.

I just went out to check that gound again, because we all know the probems
with grounds.  The battery has been on a trickle charger all night, as
reduced charging means I run on the battery alone.  But I apparently forgot
to turn off the key, so the battery was sucked completely dry while on the
charger - zero voltage.  I have a parasitic drain somewhere that is greater
than the input of a trickle charger.  The battery is only a few days old.

Wrath of the Gods,
Michael Rowe
The Holy Sprite