[Spridgets] On-the-road hospitality

Ron Soave soavero at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 30 12:43:48 MDT 2013

Indeed. Pardon the facebook Spridgets page re-post but:

Yellow Gear Saves Day
- a true miracle (long but neat story)! -

So my buddy and Spridget racer
John Deikis calls Friday afternoon saying he'll be passing close by at the
tail end of his 3 week cross country trip on his trusty 22 year old BMW RT.
Saturday comes, and we meet up at my workplace to look at cool planes and
cars. We have a nice time there, and ride the back roads to my house, he on
the BMW, me on my beloved 2012 Triumph Bonneville. We take a quick trip to
Roscoe's Auto Museum, which also sports the largest collection of Kennedy
memorabilia in the world. It's on to a few IPAs, grilled bacon wrapped filets
and fresh garden picked veggies. From there, we take in most of a Rockford
Aviators baseball game, then back to the house for some pumpkin vodka drinks
and stories til 1 am. After breakfast this morning, I lead John out to the
highway on the Triumph and bid John farewell. I'm wearing my Kevlar jacket in
safety yellow. This later takes on great importance.

3 hours later, I'm out
with the lads and I get a call from our neighbor. John is at my house,
thinking his wallet and cell phone are at my house. I rush home, and, in fact,
NO they are not. Freak out time. Now, John's phone does not even have texting
ability, let alone "Find My iPhone". He only found my house by getting on and
off 90 (and not paying the tolls because he had no wallet of iPass) and
driving around Roscoe and finding someone else with a phone to look me up. We
surmise the stuff was on one of the saddle bags and flew off. We retrace
steps, John Soave helping on foot, me on the bike tracing the route back to
I-90. On the way back from an unsuccessful ride out to the highway, I pass the
boys and John has miraculously found his phone. I go back to drop off the bike
and join the walk.

There is a knock at my door, A lady has found John's
wallet. She saw us on the road that morning and noticed my bright yellow
jacket. She saw something fly off John's bike and her daughter retrieved it
(the wallet), They looked up John on the internet and left a message at his
home, 400 miles away. Amazingly, they were on the road again and noticed the
Triumph with the yellow jacketed rider and followed me home since they knew I
was with John. Absolute miracle.

If you re-read it, the things that had to
happen to make this work were astronomically unlikely. So, I've been told that
safety gear on bikes does not make you any more visible. I think it's safe to
say that isn't true. I'm sure John will tell this more colorfully (no pun
intended), but this was a day to remember, and finally some good karma after
having tracked down several lost wallet owners in the past.

Off to buy a
lottery ticket....
Ron

Ron Soave
Roscoe, IL

"It only goes one way."
"Pay
it forward."

<peter at nosimport.com>
<soavero at yahoo.com>
Tuesday, July 30, 2013 11:11 AM
>Subject: Re: [Spridgets] On-the-road
hospitality

29, 2013 at 7:59 PM, Ron Soave <soavero at yahoo.com> wrote:

>> > It was our
pleasure. Is there anything you'd like to tell the class?