[Spridgets] Jawhorse or Workmate?

Tncarnut1 tncarnut1 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 16 05:46:44 MST 2013

Linda, I bought my workmate maybe 20 years ago and love it. In all this time, the only problem it has developed is that one of the four spring clip thingys that hold the legs together when it is folded has lost its grip. So that one leg will kind of dangle loose a bit while folded. This does not in any way hamper the functionality while set up & being used, so haven't really tried to address the issue. My biggest regret is that I did not buy two of them when I had the chance. (bought it at a B&D overstock sale in the parking lot of their facility in Nashville)B

If the original ones have cast iron in them, mine is apparently a model from a later generation because it is all steel and wood. The only plastic is on the crank handles, the press-in wedges that hold bits on the table, and the spring clips that hold the legs folded when it is collapsed. (one of which is broken as previously described)
- David

>From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

Linda Grunthaner <grunthaner at gmail.com> wrote:

List,
I've been looking for a portable workbench setup for a while now so I can
do some grinding, welding and other fabrication work on my car parts and
wanted to know what the list is using. Initially I wanted a Workmate by
Black & Decker because it sounds like what I need, a portable workbench I
can fold up stick in the garage or shed and take it out on the driveway or
lawn to do some work but the plastic crank handles just floored my
perception of the product. I was so disappointed to see any plastic
altogether.

I thought maybe the first generation Workmate was all metal parts but I
can't confirm that. I do know the first gen was cast iron but nobody on
craigslist is will to mail it to me even if I paid extra and of course
shipping. So below is a link for Popular Mechanics article Jawhorse or
Workmate so now I'm thinking of the Jawhorse but is their anything else?
What are you guys using? Or maybe I should just make something? I must have
something foldable for my small storage availability.

Thanks,
Lin

*popular mechanics link*
*http://tinyurl.com/attx2dw