[Spridgets] Brake Hoses - Time to change them

GUY DAY grday at btinternet.com
Mon Feb 18 14:20:16 MST 2013

Hi all,
I would endorse James' message and add a plea that you do not use hose
clamps even though there are tools designed and purpose built for the job.
The inner lining tube of the hose is squashed flat when the hose is clamped
and at the flattened edges of the compressed section it is squashed to the
point where it can begin to split and / or delaminate from the outer bracing
part of the hose.  By definition, for the clamp to work, the hose has to be
'abused' to this degree.

This can cause a 'flap' in the pipe and dependant on which way the flap is
formed fluid can either be blocked from reaching the slave cylinder or it
can hold pressure so the brake is locked on and will not release.  You can
create the situation where pedal pressure feels to be fine but the brake(s)
are not working.

Mostly, you will get away with using a hose clamp but that hose has been
damaged internally, it cannot be seen from the outside and it is a weak
point for the future.

Guy R Day