[Spridgets] Fw: Goods Books for a Winter's Storm

David Booker tncarnut1 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 10 08:49:27 MST 2013

I read lots, most of the time I'm splitting my time between two books at
once.  I also listen to books on CD during my daily commute. I have one
fiction going right now that I'm still not entirely sure I like - but it is
building up to something and was recommended by very attractive friend, so
I'll definitely finish it. The other book I'm reading - re-reading actually -
is Mark Donahue's masterpiece, "The Unfair Advantage". I had a copy years ago
when it was out of print and hard to find. Unfortunately, I loaned it to
somebody who never returned it so have not read it years. I asked for it for
Christmas this year, and my sister got it for me, so I'm devouring it.

It is
a great read for any gearhead, but should be required reading for anybody who
competes or drives anywhere near the edge with any vehicle. On second thought
- you don't want it to be widely read because then everybody would have the
heightened understanding of vehicle dynamics, engine building theory,
entry/apex/exit dissection, rulebook "interpretation", etc. The biggest thing
I took away from it is how important a strong work ethic is to success. Mark
Donahue simply worked harder for success than anybody else did.

Seriously -
as drivers of sports cars, this book should be on every one of our
bookshelves. (and no, you can't borrow mine)

David Booker