[Spridgets] non LBC Subaru Outback Info

Richard Ball rich_ball at mindspring.com
Thu Feb 7 11:19:25 MST 2013

Well since the list is too quite for some I'll ask a question.

My son and his wife always get a fairly large tax refund and this year they
have decided to be smart about things and look into buying a good (for them)
family car.  Out here in the wilds of the Great Northwest you can't swing a
dead cat by the tail without hitting a Subaru Outback so they are looking at
those or alternatively some sort of minivan.  They probably can afford an
Outback in the 1995 to 1997 range, but are noticing that many of those are
listing that the timing belt, water pump, and head gasket have been changed.
I can understand the timing belt and water pump, but is the head gasket a
maintenance item on these or a design problem.  If it is a problem how much
time dose replacing it buy you?

Thanks
Rich Ball
'76 Midget