[Spridgets] generator/regulator

Lester Ewing oldsaabguy at comcast.net
Thu Apr 25 10:33:58 MDT 2013

Sounds like the regulator isn't regulating or your meter has gone off range.
Reset the range to 100v and see what it says..

Lester

On Apr 24, 2013, at 3:44 37PM, Michael Rowe wrote:

> I had trouble with the charging system in the Fall, and put the car away
before I figured it out. Today, I put in a new generator and a new regulator,
for which I paid extra to have Moss pre-adjust. I assume that it is correct,
but I got it from Moss. My problem remains unchanged. I can't really test it
because of the voltage problem:

> - The generator is not charging the battery.
> - I can get no voltage reading from the system anywhere when the engine is
on; the meter reads 8888. It works fine when the engine is off.
> - Even the battery reads 8888 when the engine is on.
> - I checked it for polarity against the battery to see if it read 8888 for
reversed polarity; it reads the same in either direction when the engine is
off (maybe there is a minus sign that I did not notice).
> - I sparked the field coil and checked the polarity of the generator with my
red-green probe; it is red, the same as when I put it on the positive terminal
of the battery when the engine is off. I assume that means the generator is
pushing, not pulling. The car is negative ground.

> Any USEFUL thoughts? Comments about Moss are not useful! Comments about my
incompetence are not useful! Comments on the beauty of The Holy Sprite are
nice, but also not useful! What's left?

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/oldsaabguy@comcast.net