[Spridgets] Can't bleed new clutch master - ideas?

Jeff Kelly jeffsbugeye at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 18:32:12 MDT 2013

Rick,

I just this past Thursday re-bled the clutch after being left open all
winter. The master was dry on the clutch side and not sure how much fluid
was still in the slave. The slave was open all winter. Not a good practice,
but it happened. We have a 3/4" master and 7/8" slave. This is what we did.
My son (52 yrs old) under the car working the clutch bleeder.  Me in the car
pumping the clutch.  Bleeder open - pumped very vigorously probably 20
pumps.  Closed bleeder - pumped about 20 pumps.  Pedal down - open bleeder.,
pump about 5- 10 pumps - pedal down - open bleeder. Repeat till fluid runs
fairly clear.  Do not recirculate the fluid. Old fluid is dirty.  After
about 4 repeats I began to feel pressure on the pedal.  two or three more
repeats and pedal is good, clutch operates as designed.  This all took maybe
20 minutes Max.
In 30 years working on bugeye's, I have never spent the time you describe.
I suspect you are using all the pedal/piston travel to mover the fluid up to
the master sylinder in the plastic tube. and when you release the pedal, it
pulls the fluid back out of the line fron the master to the slave.

BTW, it was 40 deg's and sleeting in Mich. when I did this. But, we were
inside dry at about 50 deg.

Good luck, hope you get it done.

Jeff Kelly