[Spridgets] New radius arm bushing

CosmicMag1380 cosmicmag1380 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 19:56:09 MDT 2012

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 1:58 PM, Alan <frogeye at cox.net> wrote:
I am about to install new radius arm bushing in a bugeye I see that they
came as a an assembly and need to be pressed into the arm itself Before I
remove the old arms do they need to be pressed in as with a bench press or
is it more of a slip fit?
I did this job many years ago at my buddy's machine shop. We tried a 25 ton
press and only damaged the trailing arm! My buddy, Rick, being an expert
machinist, came up with the solution...

Apparently the factory used a moisture displacing goo on the original
bushings to prevent them from rusting in place. We heated the bush in a
circular fashion until we could see little black bubbles popping up to the
surface between the bushing steel and the trailing arm steel. Then we
whacked it with a hammer and drift. Presto!!! The damn thing just fell out
like nobody's business!

--
Kent
1960 Bugeye