[Spridgets] FW: Mini question

David Booker tncarnut1 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 10 09:22:10 MDT 2012

Dean,
Just because a manufacturer did not import and sell the car in question
in the States does not mean it's illegal. The laws change over the years,
swinging from very strict to very lenient, and back again.  But at various
times we've been able to import our own cars (Grey Market cars) either on our
own or through private importers. These cars, according to how old they were
at the time and how strict the current laws were when imported, may or may not
have had to be upgraded to U.S. safety standards.

Generally speaking, a car
more than 25 or so years old can be imported privately without requiring it to
be upgraded. There have always been exceptions.  New cars are always more
difficult to bring in than classics. Back in '86 when Porsche first made the
959, you could not have one here period. I read about one that was snuck in or
driven across from Canada and owned by a guy in San Fransisco (when the car
was new). Apparently, the owner only brought it out at night because if he got
pulled over by anybody knowledgeable, it would have been confiscated & maybe
even destroyed.

 - David Booker